Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Riding the dangerous wind









The quarter-life crisis. So much to do...so little time. I'm moving to New York City in a couple of weeks and the idea of starting my adult life has been freaking me out. Deciding between acting classes and interning, applying for jobs and setting up interviews has me on-edge and out of whack. But this post is inspired by what I've realized just a few moments ago- I should only be so lucky that my biggest worry is which path to choose for myself- which adventure to go on next, how to make a name for myself after graduating college- I have no restrictions or obligations right now. I am free. At least for now. And starting now, I will take advantage of my advantage and do anything and everything to get to where I want to be figuratively, no matter where I am literally. It seems like this quarter-life crisis is striking a lot of people my age, but like a Chinese proverb says "a crisis is an opportunity riding the dangerous wind." Besides sounding like a magic carpet in a sand storm, the crisis metaphor does hold true. Growing up and moving on is rough but also exhilirating, and I'm starting to see that anxiety can work wonders when channeled into creativity and action. I mean, I started a blog for goodness sake. Looking for a cure for post-college woes? Move. Do things. Explore. And if you're so inclined, get a job. But take it easy. I'm starting with the basics. Going to NYC. I've been enfatuated with the Big Apple forever, and going that is the only thing that feels right, right now. For today, that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment